I've just emailed off the first full draft of the last major piece of work I have to complete for my 'regular job' before I finish up. Yay!
Last Saturday there was a marked turn in business at the shop, with people buying summery fabrics. Yay!
The daylight is lasting longer. Yay!
I know that soon enough I will be moaning about the heat and having to water the garden and all that but for now... yay! I'm feeling all springy! And not in the least because I made myself a new top from some Nani Iro double gauze I've been eyeing off for a while.
It's such a statement fabric, I wanted to make something simple. So after lots of consideration, I settled on a pattern I'd made before, from a Japanese sewing magazine, Pochee Spring 2010. It's basically a wide raglan sleeve top with the neckline gathered up and the gathers sewn down with a long strip that also becomes the front tie. I love my first version of this shirt and still wear it often. The double gauze has held up very well to wash'n'wear.
However my fabric-miser tendencies bit back at me when I didn't have enough room to add seam allowances at the bottom hem. The top turned out a bit short so I headed back to my pile of scraps and eked out a little addition to the bottom, which was kind of on the bias so it kicks out a bit. Actually I quite like the effect! One of those 'happy accidents'. I would allow a bit more fabric next time though. Er, if I could remember how much I cut for this one, ha.
I also shortened the neck slit/placket thingy considerably because it was waaay too low last time - maybe a little too short now but no matter.
Thank you Jasper for the kooky-angle photos!
- Jane x